Monday, November 25, 2013

A Thanksgiving Tablescape For the Motivated

In blogland, I probably should have posted this last week. You know, because now we're in Christmas phase. But alas, blog friends, I didn't have time to share this with you, what with talking about antlers and new pendant lights, so a tablescape for Thanksgiving had to wait.

I know what you might be thinking: 'But Brittany, if I wanted to see how to pull off a tablescape, I think this would have come in handy last week, instead of THREE DAYS before the main event.'

But friends, this one is so simple if you go and buy a few yards of burlap and a few yards of muslin, you too can pull off this one.

Because, if anything, I am all about last-minute plans.

So here she goes. Please forgive the wrinkled satin (you can iron it, but 10 minutes later it'll be wrinkled again if you don't throw it over your table AT THAT MINUTE), and imagine a 12 foot rectangular table. On the actual day of Thanksgiving we'll have two six foot tables to work with, but my little pedestal table in the morning room is all I had to work with in the meantime.


This year I decided to go navy and gold. It works out because I had the navy tablecloths from our wedding and everything else is either made on the cheap or bought on sale.


I am loving the gold metallic touches of the spray painted pine cones and the chargers. An extra metallic touch is provided by the painted dollar store leaves I used in this project.


The votives are from Michael's that I picked up on sale--40% off. The gold chargers are also from Michael's and picked up on sale for 3 for $2.


I snagged the burlap and muslin from Joann Fabrics using 40% off coupons and used hot glue to create the utensil holders and Stitch Witchery to make the linen napkins. I also have a pretty gnarly burn on my wrist from Stitch Witchery-ing my napkins, which could explain my disdain at using the iron and the totally obvious wrinkles in the tablecloth. Also--satin: why are you such a weird fabric? I just cannot with you sometimes.

I can image a table set for 12 on Thanksgiving with the candles glowing in the votives and the gold adding a nice touch of richness to the holiday festivities. It'll be a pretty fancy table. In its own non-fancy way, because truth be told, we are not a fancy-to-the-tee-set-table family.

If you're in a scramble to figure out how you're going to set your table for Thanksgiving, I hope this gives you some helpful suggestions.

I still haven't finished making my napkins yet, and it's Monday! Nothing like a little pressure to get things done, no?

How are you setting your table for Turkey Day? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments!

Wanna see where I party? Click here for an awesome list of link parties I participate in..

Also linking up to:
Savvy Southern Style
Imparting Grace
Jennifer Rizzo
Get Your DIY On Challenge - The Happy Housie

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely table! This year is the first (and maybe the last!) year we will be celebrating Thanksgiving with just my husband and kiddos. We're excited to have a laid-back and relaxed day. So, keeping with that theme, our table decor is all pretty much dictated by my two little girls. They made some paper pumpkins in a variety of sizes, shapes, and textures, along with some turkey gourds (gourds decorated to look like turkeys). They also made the name cards. It's quite a festive table! Hope you and your family have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aida! Your table sounds lovely and I'm sure those personal touches by your little ones make the table extra sweet. Aren't laid back holidays the best? I'm so looking forward to ours. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!

      Delete
  2. CUTE! love the napkins :) http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute table! Nice and cozy and I love the utensil holders!! Thank you so much for linking up to Get Your DIY On! I hope you'll join us tomorrow with your Holiday Wreaths or Door Decor!

    Mandy @ The Hankful House Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from anyone who reads this little section of the internet universe. Feel free to leave a comment and let's chat!