Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ruffled Burlap Wreath Tutorial {Burlap & Glam}

I don't know about you, but once Fall hits I get the unexplainable urge to make about a dozen wreaths.

This year I am practicing some self-restraint and am only making two wreaths for the Fall season. The Christmas season doesn't stand a chance because I'll most likely go bonkers making wreaths. Wreaths for every door in the house!

The first wreath I'm going to share with you is my "grown up" wreath for the front door. I wanted something sophisticated, warm feeling, and a little glam, too. Glam is where the glitter comes in, BTW. Oh, and ruffles. A girl has got to have some ruffles in her life.



Your supplies:



-Burlap - I got two yards from Joann and had enough for this wreath plus some left for other fun Fall craftiness, holla!
-A straw wreath form - or any wreath form, really. Just remember you'll be hot gluing burlap onto it, so nothing that is particularly melty.
-Embellishments of your choice - I got this glittery leaf at Christmas Tree Shops. In the end I knew I NEEDED more glitter (and I had to cover up a boo-boo: keep reading) so I found two more.
Not pictured:
-Needle and thread - I used normal thread, but upholstery thread would have been much stronger.
-Hot glue gun

Step 1:

Cut your burlap into strips. I cut mine about 4-5 inches wide and as long as I could get them. Start gluing and wrapping the strips around your wreath form. This will give your ruffles and embellishments something to grab onto, as well as cover up all that straw.



Step 2:
Cut out two more strips of burlap, depending on how wide you want your ruffles. I knew I wanted one wider, looser ruffle around the outside of my wreath, and another smaller, more ruffle-y ruffle in front of that. I measured around my wreath and cut a strip that measured the circumference of my wreath plus half. If I remember correctly, the strip for the wider ruffle was about 70" long and 10" wide and the strip for the smaller ruffle was a little shorter in length and about 6" wide.

Also, I feel like now is a good a time as any to share with you that I worked mostly from my dining room floor
because burlap is MESSY. I figured if I worked close enough to the floor, burlap debris didn't have to fall far for clean up.

Note: I wanted a clean edge to the ruffled exposed edge of my burlap, so I folded my strips in half (and should have pressed them so I had a nice crease, but didn't--so lazy) and actually wound up with a 5" and a 3" ruffle. Remember to do that if you want a clean edge, or consider cutting your strips a little less wide if you are cool with the unfinished edge of the burlap on the outside edge of your wreath.

Step 3:
Burlap has a pretty loose weave, so I added a bead of hot glue where I threaded my needle through the fabric at first to hold it in place.

Let this be known that I haven't given myself a manicure in like two weeks.
Which is a record for me.

Run a straight stitch down the length of your burlap, then gather your fabric into a snazzy ruffle. Remember, I wanted this ruffle to be a little more "wavy" than "ruffley", so I didn't gather too much. Once I decided I liked how my burlap was gathered, I added another bead of hot glue to the end of my thread to hold it in place and maintain the wavy ruffle.

Step 4:
Decide which part of your wreath form you want to be the front and back, and then flip it over so it's front-side-down. Glue your ruffle to the back of your wreath.

Here the wreath is face up. Post-gluing down my ruffle.


Step 4(a):
Apparently I am miserable at measuring. Shrug your shoulders because you know you'll come up with something in the meantime that'll keep your wreath from looking like it should be a burlap turkey (is it just me, or does anyone see the makings of a sweet turkey wreath?). It's not Thanksgiving yet, friends.

Step 5:
Repeat Step Four with your second strip of burlap that will be rufflier than your first. Gather that fabric and secure your thread.

Step 6:
Tuck your ruffley ruffle between your wreath form and your first ruffle and secure to both the wreath form and the first ruffle with your hot glue gun.



Note: Technically, I suppose you could glue your first smaller ruffley ruffle to the wreath form followed by your wider, less ruffley ruffle and not have to worry about tucking it in anywhere. The things you learn as you go.

Step 6(a):
Crap. This ruffle is too short, too. Brainstorm about a clever fix while you work.

Step 7:
Add the embellishments of your choice.
Even though you originally thought one glittered leaf would be enough embellishment for your simple fall wreath, decide that two more would be even more glitterific and fabulous and will cover up your inadequacies in measuring at the bottom of your wreath. Now it will not be looking like a burlap turkey.

Glue those suckers on. Hello, glam!

Decide that you just don't know when to quit and make a bow out of your burlap scraps. Glue it onto the top of your wreath.



Step Nine:
Hang your wreath on your sassy red door (or, you know, whatever color your front door is) and admire your hard work.



And there you have it! A rustic AND glittery glam Fall wreath that did not, in fact, wind up looking like a turkey. Thanks for bearing with me through the tutorial! I have a second more whimsical and fun wreath underway that is SO MUCH easier. Can't wait to share that one with you soon!

Who else out there is a wreath-making-maniac? I know I can't be the only one!

Linking up with:
The Turquoise HomeElla ClaireThe Brambleberry Cottage52 MantelsThe Shabby Creek CottageEmbracing ChangeLive Laugh RoweThe Girl CreativeGlued to My CraftsImparting GraceFrench Country CottageBlissful and DomesticJennifer RizzoMy Romantic HomeFinding FabulousThe Shabby NestHouse of RoseObsessive and CreativeWhipperberryThe Happy HousieDIY Show OffCraft-O-ManiacDimples and Pig TalesHome ComingCupcakes & CrinolineThe Winthrop ChroniclesNot Just a HousewifeThe Farmhouse PorchA Stroll Thru LifeHome Stories A to ZMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaCozy Little HouseThe Well Crafted HomeSavvy Southern StyleElla ClaireDIY By DesignThe DIY DreamerSNAP!The Blissful Bee

Also linking up with:
Autumn Abounds Link Party



32 comments:

  1. Love it! Looks so easy, definitely will try this one. I'm trying to use more burlap in my Autumn decor this year. TFS! Found you thru the Turqoise Home Linky Party.
    www.vintagecreationsbycw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmen! I am LOVING burlap for all things Fall. It's such a cheap and interesting way to incorporate some natural elements into seasonal decor! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I aspire to be a wreath making maniac, but I'm definitely not there yet. I don't think I've EVER made a wreath, in fact, but I was just thinking the other day that this fall might be my season. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen. I have to admit wreath-making was a completely foreign concept to me two years ago, but making your own door decor is pretty fun and it's an easy way to kill a couple hours in front of the TV. :)

      Delete
  3. It turned out so beautiful, Brittany! I absolutely love it!!!

    Xo Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!!! I love the glittery leaves and the ruffles!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute fall wreath! Love the burlap ruffles and the bow! Very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty wreath, I love the burlap and the leaves are a great accent!
    I linked over from the Work It Wednesday Link Party where I am participating too with Sympathy Card and Free Sympathy Cut File and Remember 911 card and would love it if you'd stop by.
    Hugs, Antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Antonella! I will totally check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. This is so lovely! I love the rustic look of burlap <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh be still my heart - this is gorgeous! I am going to Pin this, then make a shopping list for this weekend. I am so excited to have found this wreath and thank you for the tutorial!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Elizabeth! Have fun making your wreath! :)

      Delete
  9. This is super cute!! I didn't have any ideas yet this year for wreathage on the front door, but I might have to try this one! I like that you can use it all through fall. And of course, the glitter! :-) BTW your instructions were hilarious, I was laughing and felt like I was there lol Pinning this one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! I like your term "wreathage." :) Glitter makes everything better, in my opinion, and I'm glad you liked the tutorial!

      Delete
  10. Very pretty...I love how girly it is! I just made some embroidery hoop wreaths with friends at my craft party and now I keep finding new ones I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deonna! Embroidery hoop wreaths sound fun. I'll have to give that a try next!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful job! Thanks for linking up to The DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty wreath. I need to pin this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty wreath and love the tutorial too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great wreath! I've been wanted to try a burlap one...you make it look pretty easy!

    Sam
    CooksAndCreates.blogspot.com

    {found you on Someday Crafts}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Burlap is super easy to work with, especially with this wreath. You should totally give it a shot!

      Delete
  15. You are hilarious! This did turn out pretty darn cute in the end! Thanks so much for sharing at our Get Your DIY on Party! Next week's theme is Thrifty Upcycles, I hope you can share with/ entertain us again! It all starts Sunday at 7:00 est! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohooo! Thanks Camila! Glad you stopped by! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from anyone who reads this little section of the internet universe. Feel free to leave a comment and let's chat!