Monday, February 24, 2014

DIY Spoon Art {A Pottery Barn Knockoff}

Happy Monday, all!

I'm super excited about this project I have to share with you today because it's a pretty fun Pottery Barn knockoff that is SUPER easy to do. I've had my eye on this piece from Pottery Barn for weeks and I'm SO GLAD I didn't have to part with $200 to have the look in my home.

Ready? Let's go!

First off, the inspiration:


This is the Spoon Shadow Box by Pottery Barn and I loooove it. What I don't love, however, is that it's $199 plus shipping and it measures 30" square. While the price hurts, the fact that I don't have that much wall space in my kitchen hurts, too.

I thought it would be easy peasy to replicate in a scale that suits my kitchen, and as luck would have it, it worked out perfectly!


The best part? It cost me $14--and truth be told, I overestimated how much linen I'd need, so it very well could have cost me less.

It fits in my kitchen AND saved me at least $185? That is what I like to call a win-win, friends.

Let's get down to our supplies:


 To copy this look, you'll need the following:


  • A frame...or two. I actually made two of these, the second I am yet to hang. I snagged these at the thrift store for $2.99 each. You can easily find a frame that is big enough or small enough for your space. If you want a spend a few extra dollars, you could even go all out with a shadow box.
  • Spoons. As many as you think you can fit in your frame of choice. I picked these up at the same thrift store, four for $1.00. There are seven here, so I spent a little less than $2.00.
  • Linen fabric, ironed. I went with the linen because I really was going for the same look as Pottery Barn, but you could easily choose a fabric that suits your personality and decor. Personally, my next choice would have been burlap. Because I overestimated how much fabric I'd need, I wound up spending about $7.50 on this fabric with a 40% off coupon at Joann Fabric, but I totally could have saved some money by getting less fabric. Luckily, I do have plans for what fabric is left.
  • Not pictured: hot glue gun, sawtooth hanger, and craft paint (I picked black, but again--you could totally pick a color that matches your kitchen)
To start, I removed the backs of the frames, tossed the glass, and kept the cardboard backing. The cardboard is what we'll use to mount our spoons. If your frame is missing it, a piece of foam board or cardboard from around the house cut to size will do the trick.

I gave each frame a quick coat of black craft paint. Nothing too perfect, because I knew I'd be distressing it slightly.



While your frame dries, cut your fabric. I used my cardboard as a rough guide:


Then you'll want to wrap your cardboard with the fabric. Think wrapping a present while you do this--it'll keep your fabric neat. Also: try to pull your fabric as tight as you can while not bending your cardboard. You don't want any fabric sagging with the weight of the spoons added.


Then, you'll want to insert your fabric-wrapped cardboard back into your frame, either using the tabs on the frame, or using hot glue. I did both, just to be safe.

Then you'll want to situate your spoons to find a layout you like best. It helps to do this before you start getting hot and heavy with the glue gun.

It just wouldn't be a craft tutorial without my kitchen floor showing up in there somewhere.
Also, forgive the change in lighting. This was an evening into the next day project, but really only took an hour, total.

Once you have a layout that tickles your fancy, glue those babies down! I put some glue at the lower bottom of the actual spoon part, and another bead of glue at the end of the handle. Use some pressure to help the glue get through the fabric and onto the cardboard for a little more stability. This is where pulling your fabric tightly comes in handy--if the fabric is not pulled tightly enough, the fabric will pull away from your cardboard with the weight of the spoons.

I added a sawtooth hanger to the back of my frame. Looking back, adding the hanger would have been easier BEFORE I added the spoons since I couldn't lay my frame flat to install the hanger properly.

I hung it over my pantry door. I love the high end look and I love that I spent a fraction of the price.

Granted, this isn't the same size as the Pottery Barn piece, and it's missing the glass front, but I'm okay with creating a version that suits my home.


That itty bitty baby spoon on the far right? It kills me.

And that's it! A super easy project that saves you a few bucks. 185 bucks, to be exact.

What were you up to this weekend? Any projects going on in your neck of the woods?

Wanna see where I party? Click here for an awesome list of link parties I participate in..

Also linking up to:
Coastal Charm
Savvy Southern Style
Imparting Grace
Jennifer Rizzo

20 comments:

  1. This is so charming, Brittany! I love when DIY projects come together like this :)

    Amy | Club Narwhal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I was so stoked when the finished product came out the way I pictured it in my head! :)

      Delete
  2. Great knockoff! I love when I can recreate something for way less. You did a great job. Thanks for linking up at The Makers!
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is perfect for above my pantry door. Thanks. I would love for you to post that on my Chic By You link party @ Chic By Tab. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really turned out great! I think I'm gonna hit up my local thrift store for spoons now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out great! I'm definitely pinning this. I'm always looking for ways to decorate some of the blank wall space in my kitchen. I'd love for you to link this up to the Thursday S.T.Y.L.E. Link Party. It goes live tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. MST. http://addicted2diy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I will check out your link party when it goes live!

      Delete
  6. Yours looks every bit as good at the Pottery Barn. I love old silverware and it really looks nice framed this way. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - doesn't it kill you what they charge for their pieces? Not just PB... but geesh! Anyway, you did a great job and I love it! Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! I'm so pumped I was able to save some cash on this one!

      Delete
  8. Very cute! It always amazes me how much money Pottery Barn will charge for something so simple to make! I think I may have to make one for my kitchen now!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Pottery Barn's spoons must be super extra special spoons and have some crazy antique linen or SOMETHING to warrant that $199.00! Thanks for stopping by, Tania!

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous project, Brittany...I have been meaning to do something like this with old silver for awhile...I was thinking smaller frames with a spoon in one, fork in another, knife in another...your lovely project may give me the inspiration I need!! Have a great weekend!! ~Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, that sounds like a great idea! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh! What a beauty and a savings!!! My wheels are spinning!!! I want to make a decor piece I just need to figure out what! :D Love this!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from anyone who reads this little section of the internet universe. Feel free to leave a comment and let's chat!