Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Estate Sale Finds

We hadn't done much yard sale-ing or Craigslist surfing in a while, but when Denny texted me last Friday and said, "I found you a door," I knew it was about damn time. Due to the nature of his work, he always finds the best antique stores, yard sales, and estate sales throughout his day while he's doing his thing. So on Friday, at the mention of the door, he also shared with me that he found it at an estate sale and that we needed to come back on Saturday to pick up his find and check it out. Because there was some cool stuff.

That's all I needed to hear.

I have been on the hunt for an old glass-pane wooden door since we moved in, back in April. We have a space over our sofa, between two windows, that would fit a door perfectly if it was hanging on it's side. So, for the last six months we've kept our eyes peeled until hubster finally got lucky last weekend and found it. Exactly what I was hoping for. Stripped down to bare wood, and 15 panes of glorious glass.

Here she is, set up in my garage for cleaning since I forgot to take a picture of it before we wrapped it in blankets and loaded it into our truck:


Oh, and the hardware?

Gahhhhhhhh. Hello, sexy glass doorknobs.
 And where it wound up, adding some nice warm wood tones to our living room:


We mounted it to the wall using a heavy duty french cleat picture hanger that was capable of holding up to 200 pounds (you can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's in the hardware aisle), along with making sure we found the studs and using some serious screws and anchors. It required a little bit of math and a little bit of painstaking drilling into my precious door, but it was worth it to make sure it was right. This puppy is not moving.

And I loooooooove it.


And while the star of the show was the door, we still managed a few more scores as well. We got this sweet little rocking chair, the embroidery hoops, and the blue mason jars for $20. The jars are for around the house, the hoops are for nursery and Peyton's big girl room projects, and the chair is a project for another day. It needs to be repainted and it is missing a top slat along the back.

I love good finds while we're out and about, especially when the hubster scouts them out for me.

Have you scored anything awesome in your travels lately? I'd love to hear all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from anyone who reads this little section of the internet universe. Feel free to leave a comment and let's chat!