Monday, October 14, 2013

Painted Dollar Store Pumpkins

I found myself in quite a pickle this Fall decorating season: while I was totally cool with our old decorations in our new house (making them feel pretty new), I had the itch for something actually new. However, I wanted to challenge myself to do it on a budget. 

Ideally, I would have liked to get these pumpkins from Pier 1. Not only are they amazingly metallic, they are capiz too. Say what?! But at almost $9 each and my unwillingness to buy just one, I had to get creative.

I went to the dollar store for some fake pumpkin and gourd goodness. Actually, there was not much "good" to these pumpkins, until I dolled them up and paired them off with a slew a fabulously scented candles. I used craft paint I had on hand, so this project wound up costing me $5!


And now for your supplies:
-A craft pumpkin of your choice. Extra points for cheap dollar store ones, because then your work is cut out for you.
-Craft paints of your choice. I am in no way in cahoots with Martha Stewart, but I am loving her line of craft paints. Especially the metallics. They make me feel warm and fuzzy. You'll also need a flat black craft paint, too. (My metallic choices were gold, rust, and copper)
-Foam brush, or other paint application apparatus.
-Paper towels (some dry, some damp)


Next, you'll want to brush on your base color. In this case, I chose gold. It took a couple coats, and my impatience didn't really allow for proper drying times and resulted in a streaky finish. But that's cool, because we're about to get crazy up in here.


Next, take your black paint and add it to the crevices of your pumpkin. Don't worry, you aren't leaving it like that. Take a damp paper towel and blot and blend it into the crevice. This will give your pumpkin some depth.

Kind of like "Hi, I'm a metallic pumpkin and I'm all dirty because metallic pumpkins totally grow in pumpkin patches. Also, aren't I extra deep and moody today?"

Check out below to see the difference of the black paint just painted on there (eek!), and then blended in nicely.


Then I wanted to take my complementary metallic paints and blot them on with a dry paper towel. Take a damp paper towel to blend the paints into your pumpkin.

It won't look so pretty, but keep blotting. Trust me on this one.


Once I finished, I took my pumpkin and added it to my tray (check out the tray I made from a thrift store frame here) with some more pumpkins to which I added just a plain old coat of metallic paint.



These pretty pumpkins are now hanging out on my living room coffee table and are adding the perfect touch of new-ness to my Fall decor. Not to mention they are set up with some of the most delicious smelling candles I have, so it's totally a Fall fiesta in here.

I'm also pretty sure if you painted a bunch of these and grouped them together in a wooden tray or a low wooden box, it would make the a fantastic table centerpiece for the entire Fall season. You're welcome.

Do you get bored with your seasonal decor? Do you use the same decor from year to year, buy all new each year, or add a few new pieces each year? Share in the comments!

Wanna see where I party? Click here for an awesome list of link parties I participate in..

Also linking up to:
Get Your DIY On at The Happy Housie
Savvy Southern Style
Imparting Grace
Jennifer Rizzo

11 comments:

  1. I SO love these! They turned out awesome, girl! Nothing beats a 5 dollar craft!

    xo Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and they look just as nice as the expensive ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I just bought some pumpkins from the dollar store the other day and was trying to figure out how to use them. Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features this week and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! They look so much better. I'm hosting a pillow cover giveaway that you should enter. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/10/pillow-covers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee! Your pumpkins turned out adorable! I love how something frugal looks so expensive! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Adding depth to the pumpkin with black paint is something I don't think I would have thought of, but it looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - these turned out beautiful! I'm a huge dollar store shopper. ;)

    If you haven't yet, I hope you'll stop over and link this up to the Perfectly Pumpkin Contest at B-Inspired Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a Dollar Store junkie so this is right up my alley! I am all about craft paint to enchance just about anything. These are great!

    ReplyDelete



  9. Great project !!

    I would love you to come and share @ Craft, Create & Inspire linky party !!!

    Look forward to seeing you there :)

    http://lemonpaperdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/craft-create-inspire-linky-party-2.html

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love them, how fun is this. The colors are amazing. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will be live this afternoon at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from anyone who reads this little section of the internet universe. Feel free to leave a comment and let's chat!